Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter and get the Evidence-Based Eating Guide: A Healthy Living Resource from Dr. Greger and NutritionFacts.org. Sign up at https://www.nutritionfacts.org/healthkit.
DESCRIPTION: Nutritional quality indices show plant-based diets are the healthiest, but do vegetarians and vegans reach the recommended daily intake of protein?
The only nutrient Americans may be more deficient in than fiber is potassium. See 98% of American Diets Potassium Deficient (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/98-of-american-diets-potassium-deficient/). For more on how S.A.D. the Standard American Diet is, see Nation’s Diet in Crisis (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/nations-diet-in-crisis/).
Americans eating meat-free diets average higher intakes of nearly every nutrient. See my video Nutrient-Dense Approach to Weight Management (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/nutrient-dense-approach-to-weight-management/).
Isn’t animal protein higher quality protein though? See my videos
• Higher Quality May Mean Higher Risk (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/higher-quality-may-mean-higher-risk/)
• Starving Cancer with Methionine Restriction (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/starving-cancer-with-methionine-restriction/)
• Caloric Restriction vs. Animal Protein Restriction (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/caloric-restriction-vs-animal-protein-restriction/)
For more on protein, see: Plant Protein Preferable
(http://nutritionfacts.org/video/plant-protein-preferable/) and Prostate Cancer Survival: The A/V Ratio (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/prostate-cancer-survival-the-av-ratio/)
And for a few on fiber:
• Dr. Burkitt’s F-Word Diet (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/dr-burkitts-f-word-diet/)
• How Fiber Lowers Cholesterol (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-fiber-lowers-cholesterol/)
• Beans and the Second Meal Effect (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/beans-and-the-second-meal-effect/)
• Fiber vs. Breast Cancer (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/fiber-vs-breast-cancer/)
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/do-vegetarians-get-enough-protein/ and he’ll try to answer it!
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Podcast: http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/
• Subscribe: http://http://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate